Friday, February 12, 2010

Writing a Query Letter Shouldn't = Stress

Writing this letter for the pass 2 or 3 days had made me realize that I'm not happy. And if I'm not happy, why am I trying so hard? The thoughts of my book being the "next Harry Potter," surely drive me forward but then I thought, "What if it isn't? Am I basing my whole writing career on trying to impress the masses? Not everyone is going to like this book. All I need is to love it. Get an agent to love it too and a publishing house to love it as well -- find it marketable and pass it on into people's [mostly friends and family's] hands.

I thought of self-publishing but I decided I didn't want this book to be of crappy quality. I wanted it to be out there for the world to see and decide if it's worth a read, not to just be hiding in the backseat of a friend's car as they exclaim, "My friend wrote a book!" Yeah, how long would it take for that whole excitement to die down if I self-published? Not long, that's what. I'd rather go through the ropes and get an agent who will work with me through the ups and downs and get my book out there.

I've been reading blogs like crazy where agents and authors tell us how to write the perfect query letter, yet using their advice, I wasn't getting anywhere. It all seemed like stressful work and it shouldn't be. I recalled the moment when my book was done, or even, when I was still writing it. That elation. That proudness. I don't think it should go away when trying to sell the book, but that's just me, perhaps. 

I know this book is gold, 'cause to me, it is and I know I will find the agent that is willing to represent me because they love the idea I portray and they want to sell it.

All this doubt and second-guessing isn't getting me anywhere at all. I've written like 20 pitch paragraphs, all less than amazing that don't portray what the hell is going on in my book. [As there are a lot of things that do go on.] But I have pinpointed the precise plot and I've worked with that for the past few days.

Basically, I guess I'm saying, the fun shouldn't leave writing [no matter what we're writing] and it should all be taken lightly. The world won't end if you don't land an agent...tomorrow. ;) My advice to authors is to stop being so hard on yourselves and allow your passion for your craft to flourish. The agent you're querying should be able to pick up on your enthusiasm and passion for your work in the letter.

-Sheron Parris

No comments:

Post a Comment